Goals. How important are goals in achieving the life you want to have? You know there was a time when I was neither a goal setter or a goal getter. Nope. I believed life was to be lived in each moment as if we were going to die tomorrow. I stumbled through each day without any kind of plan or routine, other than to get up and be on time to work. But somehow, I would manage to get most of the things I wanted in life because I know what I want...and if I worked hard enough I could get it. The thing is, it always took me an extremely long time to acheive anything I set out to do.
Last year I decided things needed to be different. I wanted 2018 to be the year I stopped wishing and started achieving real results. Bragging rights results. And that meant things we're going to need to shift for me in a lot of areas of my life. The greatest transformation of 2018 began with a decision.
End of year is a big time of reflection for me. Looking back at what worked well and what I would like to leave behind. What did I accomplish? What contributed to my happiness? What would I like to change? So often we focus on just one area of our life when we reflect...generally on our dissatisfaction. But I want to encourage you to look at the full picture and rate each area of your life. This is about as close to balance as you can get.
- Health and Fitness
- Money and Financial Security
- Career Satisfaction
- Physical Environment
- Friends and Family
- Personal and Spiritual Growth
- Fun and Recreation
Take some time now and just let your brain imagine what your ideal life would look like? How would you spend your days? Would you travel? Where to? What would you do for fun? With whom? How often would you work? How would you feel about your work?
Now take 3 major categories and brain dump all the things you want for your life in these areas.
- Who do you want to become and how do you want to grow as a person?
- What things do you want and memories do you want to make?
- What are you economic goals?
Once you have these jotted down, decide on a time line. Are you going to accomplish this in 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, or 10 years? Next decide on the top 3 in each category and write these out as an affirmation on a blue q card.You want to have these accessible to look at all the time.
Now ask yourself why these are important to you, and what are you going to need to do in order to make them a reality. Often times, our habits reflect our results, and we all have habits we can improve upon. Sometimes these are our thought patterns. Sometimes its our day to day routine. Or it's how we've been conditioned to respond to the events in our lives. We have to learn what to say no to, so we can say yes to the things that truly light our soul on fire. Letting go is not all about sacrifice, but it is necessary in receiving the things we want to attract to us.
Let me share with you a few things I left go of this year in order to up level my life.
- Ego and perfection. I decided that done was better then perfect and I would rather fail forward than fail because I never tried. I expanded my comfort zone so I could show up bigger and serve more.
- I made wiser choices about who I let into my circle of life, who I partnered with in business and became more intentional of who I spent my time with.
- Practiced daily gratitude and worked on my inner game through personal development and having a better understanding of myself. I became intentional about my life and my choices. And I created an abundant mindset.
- Embraced the 3 C's. Commitment, consistent, and courageous. I stopped making excuses, invested in myself, took bigger action daily, and I stuck to my plan most of the time.
- I made myself, my health, and my family the top priorities. All of my other decisions we're made around my foundation...and I truly believe the focus on that inner game is what made all the difference for me in 2018.
Now it's your turn
So here we are. It's the last day of 2018. How do you feel about this year and what are you looking forward to in 2019? I know without a doubt, you can create a new reality or improved circumstance no matter where you are starting from. If you can believe in your ability to learn new things you can achieve so much. If you can improve your habits and each day take action, you will compound your efforts...so focus each day on becoming better than the you of yesterday. Last year I shared with you a great article about how to gain more clarity for a fresh slate. Read more about it
For things to change, you need to decide. Make a decision deep inside your soul that you are going to commit to becoming your best self and close the door behind you. You have to have both feet in. Transformation never happens half ass. Ask yourself the tough questions...
- Why do I need things to change?
- What do I want for my life?
- How will I feel when I get it?
- What will come from me taking action?
- How will I invest in myself?
- What do I need to let go of?
- And what will happen if I don't?
If nothing changes, nothing changes. Are you ok with that?
Recommended Resources for Achieving your goals
I've put together some of my favourite resources that I personally used to improve my daily habits in 2018, and these are tools I will cherish and take with me throughout my journey because they have made that much of a difference.
Recommended Reading: High performance Habits
Get your health in check. Without fitness, nutrition, and mindset health, we have little to fall back on. Here are some of my favourite tools for being on top of my health and wellness game. Click Here for my Kit
My Miracle Morning for Success Snag it
Set yourself up for success each day with The Happiness Planner